How Carnegie Global Oregon Helped Kate Connolly Pursue Her Dreams

Kate Connolly studying abroad in Spain last fall.

“What is that quote?” CGO student Kate Connolly asks herself. After pausing for a moment she repeats the words of Socrates. “The unexamined life is not worth living.”

Connolly, 22, is a senior at the University of Oregon double majoring in International Studies and Spanish with a minor in Nonprofit Administration.  Originally from Chico, CA, Connolly was one of the first freshmen to sign up for Carnegie Global Oregon’s residential FIG program four years ago. A decision she feels has changed her life.

“Just in the CGO I’ve learned about so many issues in the world and issues on campus that I wouldn’t have necessarily thought about otherwise and I wouldn’t have connected with the things that I’m passionate about otherwise,” says Connolly.

The ethical issues that Connolly is most passionate about are social justice and education and how the two of those interact. Connolly has been involved with the Inside-Out Prison Exchange Program for two years alongside CGO junior Patrick Miller. The two also run Side by Side, a new program that consists primarily of Inside-Out alumni and CGO students. Side by Side is what Miller describes as an “inspired straight” program that empowers youth to reach for academic opportunities.

“It’s really incredible to see it actually happening,” says Connolly. “It’s one of those things that since I became a part of Inside Out I’ve been hearing about this idea and now it’s actually happening.”

Connolly is also the co-president of University of Oregon Beyond War, a local group that is a part of the national movement towards a world without war and violence. Beyond War throws on events called “Breaking the Silence” that encourage the community and students to talk about a variety of issues like incarceration, immigration and homelessness.

“I’ve been plugged into a lot of my interests because the CGO brings together a lot of people that have not only a wide variety of interests but also tend to have very social justice-centered connections on campus,” says Connolly.

What Connolly loves the most about the CGO is the feeling of community. She says a lot of her closest friends have come from the CGO.

“Our weekly meetings and our weekly dinners are a time to see people that I care about,” says Connolly. “I think that’s a really wonderful thing that Shaul and everyone else involved have been really good at fostering, is this community feeling that we are CGO and we welcome other people to join in who want to be a part of it.”

Connolly describes the CGO as a home base that has allowed her to grow and pursue her dreams. She says CGO director Shaul Cohen has helped push her to take on the leadership positions that she currently has.

“Shaul has been a really big figure of my college career, as a mentor but also someone to bounce ethical and other issues off of,” says Connolly. “I’m really thankful that he puts as much time into the CGO as he does.”

After Connolly graduates in June she plans on moving to New York City where she has a position with City Year to help teach in high-poverty communities.  She admits that when she first came to college she thought she would work with international aid but after being involved with the CGO it’s helped show her that her true passion is education and social justice.

“It [the CGO] has shown me that no matter what my passions are and no matter who I am I can have the drive to make a difference and if I want to, I can do it,” says Connolly.