Lauren Frei: Growing up with the CGO

976884_497488480305377_1150510165_o
 Being a member of the CGO for the four years I have spent at the University of Oregon contributed to my drive to expect more from systems of authority for not only myself, but also for those not actively involved in advancing my own personal interests.

When I chose a Freshman Interest Group during registration for UO, I had two routes to take: I could either choose a challenging FIG that was in the beginning stages and be instrumental in the CGO’s creation, or I could choose a less challenging and concrete FIG.

After some deliberation with my mother, I chose the CGO.

I did not know what to expect the first day I moved into the residence halls, but I remember meeting Shaul as my mom and myself were scrambling to decorate my room before the first CGO dinner. I remember playing frisbee with the 15s on the first day and then heading to the LLC Performance Hall to figure out what we had signed up for. I remember nervousness when Shaul asked us to define the term “ethics” and being unsure as to whether my definition was worthy.
I was taught throughout my childhood not to challenge systems of authority. Choosing to be a part of the CGO my freshman year was my first challenge to this authority. I began questioning institutions and my own perspective of the world.

IMG_8615  IMG_5983

I was not as vocal as some of my peers in my first year and Shaul challenged me to speak up. The CGO allowed me to see for myself that my knowledge is worthy of expression. It has also demonstrated to me that marginalized groups in society deserve this same sense of worth, but that we do not always strive to protect this right.

The CGO has allowed me to locate myself in the world and recognize how privileged I have been to be able to attend university, study abroad, and walk free from OSP after speaking with inmates who are locked in for life. The CGO has allowed me to meet and dialogue with CEOs, human rights activists, diplomats, and journalists. The CGO allowed me to fully appreciate my experience at UO as one that not many people are afforded in life.

Being a member of the CGO for the four years I have spent at the UO contributed to my drive to expect more from systems of authority for not only myself, but also for those not actively involved in advancing my own personal interests.

Shaul asked us at the first CGO dinner to write an answer down to a question along the lines of why we care. Though I do not remember my initial answer to his question, I can now say with confidence that I care because Shaul, Christine, Leslie and all CGO members have challenged me not to choose neutrality. CGO taught me to care about the humanity in all individuals and I will carry it with me for the rest of my life.

IMG_9430IMG_1683